Christian Food Network Objectives
We work as Christians to contribute toward a just, sustainable, and healthy food system in Metro Vancouver that brings humans into right relationship with each other, our environment, and our Creator.
Our goals for a seed-to-compost food solution include:
- Improved biodiversity and health of urban and rural lands
- Eradication of hunger through fair access to affordable food that is safe, nutritious, and culturally appropriate
- Just wages and conditions for all farmers and workers
- Strong organizations and collaborations that reduce unneeded duplication and that maximize efficiencies of time and resources for those who provide food, and those who eat it
- Participation of churches, Christian agencies, and people of faith in local food policy and food security networks
- Community development initiatives to build participation, knowledge, skills, jobs, and mutually transforming friendships
- Person-centered programs that empower all participants by giving them choice and voice, and by focusing on their strengths
We take our cue from God’s actions as creator and redeemer. God created a world of abundance, and places intrinsic value on it by sustaining it, intending there to be food enough for all. As stewards of God’s creation, we are to treat it with God’s own values and intentions. Jesus sets the example for us in our central ritual, the Eucharist, often called Communion or The Lord’s Supper. With this meal we take in afresh the Creator’s mercy and grace, which sustain us and re-form us as individuals-in-community. It is a repeating demonstration that holistic wellbeing is a shared experience, connecting us to cultures and people of faith all around the world and across the centuries. It also reminds us that food is ultimately a blessing, a gift from the abundance of God that yields resilience, thankfulness, and celebration.
- A Rocha Canada
- Mission Possible
- Parker House
- Soul Kitchen
- Surrey Urban Mission
- Tenth Avenue Alliace Church, Out of the Cold Program
Contact us to add your name to this growing list of churches and charitable organizations that have committed to working together to achieve these objectives in their communities.